RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mark's Models 'History' and Welcome Mark
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mark's Models 'History' and Welcome Mark

............. I would like to thank Mark Smith himself for joining us (see post 18)

Interested in info on Mark's Models, from beginning through the current (Dynaflite) history..
Having entered this thread when it was at post #59 and scanned through it, I find it extremely interesting. Thanks to all.

I have built and demolished a number of models that were sold under the Jemco, Marks, and Dynaflite names. I was very sorry when Marks sold out to Great "Pains" as I was when any mfger. did so. That is a different story!

For anyone interested, I have one of the Fun Scale SE5 kits. I built one and used a Brat .28. I had great fun with it. I did add flat bottom ribs and cover under the wings. That made the machine much more predictable. Unfortunately, I had used a relatively new switch harness design that proved to be unreliable in large airplanes but did OK in smaller ones with little or no vibration. I can only guess that the Switch turned itself off as they did so in other models before. (Loss of battery usually results in a crash as the servos move out of the trimmed position. Turning off the power will freeze the servo in its position.) Bad choice on my part. That SE5 just kept chugging in large right circles as it was trimmed for, at 1/2 throttle. It would ease over slightly into a descent, and as speed gained, it would roll back to left upright and climb. Great to watch as it disappeared west into a setting sun evening. That is a suitable aviator way to go as all aviators say when one leaves us, "He flew that last flight west."

Here are some Jemco models that were used as Scale Warbird Racers. The P-51 Scale kit modified to a Reno Racer. Then a large fun scale P-51 modified to be a bit more realistic P-51. Still a good flier. Then a Pt-19 which was a joy to fly, but after several years, it mated with a Corsair during a very close pylon turn. Broke me lil' heart, it did!
I also kit-bashed a fun-scale P-51 into a decent looking P-63 King Cobra. It was also a lot of fun and met its fate in a club fun warbird race.

EDITED to ADD: I also still have a kit of the Jemco line the Master Scale Douglas Dauntless. Someday ???
For those that need canopies, check with SIG mfg. They always had lots of canopies, which could always be modified and/or used for fun-scale purposes.

So whatever they were called, Jemco, Marks, Dynaflite, they were all welcome to my house. Unfortunately that big almighty $ took away much more than it deserved. [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33754.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1192706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53200.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1192707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93376.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	87.1 KB