RCU Forums - View Single Post - JR 12X and 10X Owners - Upgrade your battery pack to Eneloops
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 12X Owners - Upgrade your battery pack to Eneloops

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets
And I wouldn't put the stock packs in the same class as the eneloops. They are not. Everyone that has used them can immediately tell a difference, in both maintaining a higher voltage longer, and lasting longer.
You may be right Chad, but the discharge curve on my stock 12X looks almost identical to the one in the link I posted that was for an 8 cell Eneloop discharged at 250 ma. It is hard to compare anecdotal reports though, since just one overcharge can really degrade these low internal resistance LSD cells.

There are 4 major companies out there making LSD(low self discharge) NiMh packs, Matsu****a, Yuasu, Sanyo, and Rayovac, plus a couple of small Jap firms. They private brand them for a dozen or more companies under all kinds of funky names. They all use similar chemistry to achieve their performance, but have small differences among them to prevent patent violations. I don't know which company JR uses for their cells.

There also are varied ways the manufacturers select cells for sale. Back in the old NiCd and NiMh days, they used temperature, i.e. they would charge a batch at a certain current level, and those that didn't exceed a critical temp were good for sale, and those that got too hot were sold to private branders who stuck them in kid's toys etc.

So maybe Eneloops are the good cells off the line, and 12X has the Eneloop dregs.....