RCU Forums - View Single Post - After your trainer, how long did it take you to fly a war bird?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
kahloq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: After your trainer, how long did it take you to fly a war bird?

I agree with what most are saying here. I also had the PTS Mustang...and this was my primary 1st plane. I never owned a trainer and had only 3-4 flights on a "club trainer" before starting to do buddy-box flights on my PTS P-51. After 3 buddy-box flights, I was soloing the plane and landing it.

If you can fly a regular trainer, then you can fly the PTS P-51, but it will take a little more effort on takeoffs as it might want to vear left due to motor torque(this is a normal issue with almost all tail dragger planes and expecially with warbirds). This is where you learn to sue rudder. One way to help counter that is to put the wheels in a toe-ed in positon(meaning the leading edge of the wheels are pointed slighty towards the fuselage).

I also agree that the PZ Spitfire is an excellent "first" warbird, but it does float forever and really wont teach you much. Instead, Id recommend the Parkzone Corsair. Same size as the Spit, its also made of foam, but this one has landing gear(removable) as well as a working rudder and tail wheel. This plane will allow you to get the hang of taking off with a tail dragger and landing a warbird without the risk of a higher value plane. This Corsair is also already equipped with a brushless motor and if you get the RTF version, it has a 5 channel 2.4 spread spektrum radio, Spare parts are everywhere. I've got one(built from spare parts from the hobby store as I elected to hop mine up). Ive been flying for several years and Ive got more warbirds then most ppl have planes in general, but I still have a ball flying the PZ Corsair.

As for P-40's yes there is a wide range of skill level required depending on the brand and scale of the plane(as would be the case with any type of warbird). TF P-40's and Skyshark P-40's are pretty high up there with needing experience to fly cuz they are close to scale. CMP has two P-40(50 and 140 size) and they are not the most scale looking things and are very heavy for their size.
However, there are good looking P-40's that LOOK mostly scale, but have a few minor tweaks to make them fly easier. The Hangar 9 one is a good example of that as is the BHmodels P-40. Both dont look all that scale, but they do fly well. The new Kyosho P-40 looks decent for a P-40(much better then the hangar 9), but is just about as pilot friendly. It is very light relatively speaking.
Now....a VQwarbirds P40 looks pretty scale, but its not as hard to fly as a TF, but needs more attention then a Hangar 9 type plane. I have one and its heavy for its size...its a 60 size plane and weighs 10 pounds.

If you get a PZ Corsair and can master taking that off and landing consistantly, then you are probably ready for the Kyosho P-40 at that time. There are two versions....electric or glow. Although, its never a bad idea to have some good stick time on a low wing aerobatic type plane thats a tail dragger(such as an extra 300, an edge 540, etc) before trying to fly a non-foam type warbird.