RCU Forums - View Single Post - Quadras, roller main bearings, questions...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quadras, roller main bearings, questions...

Hi,

Well, I have this cute little "Eager Beaver" 21cc McCulloch blower that I was taking apart. I got kind of excited, as it was looking like it was not only a serviceable engine, but that it would turn out to be a quite light conversion engine as well. Things were going along quite well, and I was thinking it might make a good .60/.90, if not .90/120 engine, but when I got down to the last part, I found roller bearings on the crankshaft. AARGGGH...

But then I got to thinking, hey, the roller bearings are lighter than ball bearings, and the Quadras used them with a brass thrust washer, so why not set it up that way???

The Quadras and their brass or bronze thrust bearing washers were popular before my time. Well, not before I was a mechanic and playing with airplanes, but before I was playing with BIG airplanes.

So anyway, what help/advice can you guys give me on using roller bearing mains with thrust washers??? This engine has me interested because it has nearly the same port sizes as an Echo 21cc engine, and very generous transfer ports, but in the end will come out even lighter.... Where would I even source the thrust washers?

Anyone?

AV8TOR