RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 GHz Weatronics, PPM or PCM?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 GHz Weatronics, PPM or PCM?

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Gordon,
I never really found many limitaions I could not work around with the older 72mhz system, although some of the limitations did seem a arbitrary.

The new unit has rectified many of the limitations that preceded the 2.4 unit, you can now assign any servo to any channel... Even drive a single servo by multiple channels. You can gang any servo, regardless of rx port and even reverse a servo when ganged and sync'd. Still playing with the features but have yet to find a limitation period...
That's very encouraging.

With the old system, I could not drive e.g. outputs 1 and 9 (or 17, IIRC) from the same input. The Weatronics support guy claimed it was a safety feature based on the fact that there were only 4 regulators in the unit, but when I pointed out the various flaws in their "it's a feature, not a bug" explanation, they just clammed up and stopped trying to justify the arbitrary limitations.

If I want input 1 to drive both airbrakes and lights, and I have airbrakes on output 1 and lights on output 9, there is nothing unsafe about me doing so. But, the Weatronics guys decided that I should be prohibited from doing so, and so I had to shuffle servo assignments around to split these 2 functions by a number other than 8 ... but shuffling to avoid that one clash caused another clash elsewhere, and so on & on. On my Jag, I got so tired of constantly switching the output assignments around in a desperate attempt to find some combo of output assignments that was actually blessed by the Weatronics Gods, that I eventually gave up and resorted to using a matchbox and leaving outputs unused which is a totally ridiculous thing to have to do IMO.

If the new system has overcome those pointless limitations, then maybe it's worth a closer look after all. I swore off of Weatronics after the above farce, but if they have wised up then they deserve another look.

Thanks for the info.

Gordon