RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*
Old 06-21-2009, 06:08 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts
Default RE: 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Ian,
i cut out the formers using a good ole hand held jig saw w/ a very fine tooth blade, a dremel scroll saw, and a 1" x 30" table top belt sander. If it hadn't of been for that belt sander, it would of taken me months to get the fuselage bulkheads sanded to size, but with the belt sander it only took about 9 hours to do all 33 bulkheads. I looked into having all my parts laser/cnc cut but no one had a table large enough to keep the fuselage bulkheads in 1 piece (largest bulkhead is 12" tall x 36" wide) and all wanted to use birchply. Since the bulkheads are for the plug, i wasn't worried about weight and more worried about cost.
All of the bulkheads are made out of the 6mm luan plywood from home depot. It took approximately 1 1/2 4x8' sheets.. and at $9.87 a sheet, the price was more than worth it to hand cut them.

Nigel,
The laser lizard shortkit is a great start.. their are some things about that short kit i didn't like when i started on mine that i would of liked done differently b/c its a real pain to build the fuselage around the forward inlets with the small size of the bulkheads in those area's.

William,
thanks for the pics! That is one big airplane. any idea on if it is actually 1/7th or larger? It looks to be around 1/5 scale or so.