RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electrics- The Wingman II for Club Wingman
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrics- The Wingman II for Club Wingman

I have some packages coming in from AirBorne Models. Today I got one that had a couple of Wingman II planes in it. I'm getting the matching electric power system and ESC, but they must be in another box.

When I took the kit box out of the package I was impressed by how light it was. And when I took the plane out of the box and weighed it I was even more impressed. The whole airframe, minus the hardware, weighs 21.3 ounces. This is effectively a slightly smaller Sky Raider Mach II. It still has a symmetrical airfoil. But much work was done to make it lighter. The wing does not have a full D-tube. The fuselage structure is greatly reduced in the amount of material. The rudder and elevators have lightening holes.

While the box says that this is a .40 or electric airplane, I would certainly not put a ball bearing .40 on it. It is just too light. I think it would make a fine plane for an OS 25FX or OS 25AX. Or even an OS 46LA.

I'm going to put very light servos in mine. I'm going to use Hitec HS-85MG servos and a Spektrum AR6200 receiver. The batteries I have coming are the [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7469]Rhino 2350mAh 4S1P 25C Lipoly Pack[/link] and they only weigh 9.25 ounces. The motor weighs 6 ounces. I should easily come in at under 3 pounds. Meybe even 2.75 pounds.

My batteries and charger are coming from Hong Kong and should be here next Tuesday. I will be looking forward to flying this plane. I have already gotten a selection of APC electric props to try.

I think Club Wingman is inevitable.

One more thing. The firewall bolt pattern is just a hair over 1.5" square. So the power system may be usable on Quickies with no modifications. I know that 450 watts will not be real fast, but guys are having fun with Quickie 25 and I'll bet the speed will be in the same range. The World Models is a stable supplier of the motors and you have to have a constant for electric racing to work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12904.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1227527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24561.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1227528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96422.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.9 KB