RCU Forums - View Single Post - spacewalker
Thread: spacewalker
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spacewalker

I have the, since discontinued, Great Planes 1/4 scale Spacewalker. I got is used from someone and put a bit of time into reconditioning it. It's not beautiful, but it is quite airworthy and makes a good fun fly plane.

It weighs in at a bit over 10 lbs and is powered by an OS .91 Surpass (not the Surpass II), spinning a 14x8 Evolution prop. As far a flying goes, it is generally docile, but not in a trainer fashion. You really have to be able to make coordinated turns for it to fly well. Even at full aileron through, the role rate is is maybe once every 3 seconds - slow if you are used to an Edge or Extra. The rudder has lots of authority and the only time I use high rates on the rudder is for taxiing. It seems to stall straight forward with just a drop of the nose. Glide is good but speed needs to be maintained due to the weight. I'm sure with a lighter version this would be better. The roll out on landing can be quite long on a paved or otherwise smooth runway, again, due to the mass of the plane. The only real bad habit I have found is that it will snap pretty readily when given too much elevator at slow speed. I have not had any issues with this during landing, but I can easily get it to snap in the air. I cut the elevator rates way down and still usually only fly on low rates. I don't know if this is specific to the Great Planes version or is a trait of the Spacewalker in general.

All in all, I consider this to be a rather scale flying plane given it's weight and power. It obviously doesn't have much in the way of vertical, but it will loop from level flight if you have a good head of steam and will do cuban eights all day long. I would consider a 120 two stroke to be over powered for my plane. But, I consider this to be a sport scale airframe and wouldn't try and shoe horn enough power in to give it unlimited vertical - not that I have anything against over powering an airframe. Of course Seagull lists theirs at 11lbs and suggests a 120-150 four stroke, so who knows.

I bought mine as a sport plane for fun relaxing flying and it fills that bill wonderfully. I obviously can't speak for the Seagull version specifically, but the Spacewalker design in general seems to be a fun, easy to fly plane.