RCU Forums - View Single Post - Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

Trumps,

It turned out to be an excellent plane, If I were to build it again I would cut all the formers etc from 1/8th balsa, if you did get the plan pack you could always speak to them and ensure they check the quality of the wood prior to sending it to you, although my wood was not great in hind sight it was workable. The key is with this plane is that it will get overweight very quickly unless you watch your wood choice and where possible build and sheet as appose to block and sand, and watch the paint quantity if you choose to paint it.

Use foam for the floats as well, not block balsa . . . all the small things make a hughe difference when added together, my rule is generally to use 1/2 the size the plan suggests, the light weight glass cloth is excellent for adding strength with little weight penalty.

You must must keep it light, I can not stress this enough as I have seen 2 very overweight examples and seen them fly very fast and somewhat uncomfortably. I can only urge you cut your own formers from 1/8th balsa and use 16th for the ribs, just using the light ply for the motor nacels etc. Power is important as well it does not need a great deal but it makes flying comfortable, I think the weight and power they suggest is questionable. Again the overweight beasts were running in 700watts and it seemed very very marginal.

I put flaps on mine and it turned it from a good flying plane to a great flying plane if you dont mine a bit of adhoc.

Good luck, let me know how you get on - feel free to PM me if you want any advice etc.

Im going to order the Lancaster plan with the plastics and cut my own formers.

The jig is by SLEC all the mounts / nuts and the sticker is included - you just stick it to a piece of 18mm shelf! It's very cheap and does the job.

Scott.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69331.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1236075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84223.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1236076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13019.jpg
Views:	73