RCU Forums - View Single Post - Set-Up Help
Thread: Set-Up Help
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Set-Up Help

I have experimented with a lot of the cheap Chinese motors/batteries/escs... For the most part I have had good luck, but I have also had issues with batteries bursting, motor bearings going bad after 50 flights, escs that burn up. I would say that I have had on average, about 10% failure rate with that stuff, and I have tried a lot.

My advice is that even though the Chinese stuff is cheaper, stay away from it until you have more money to burn, especially with flying pattern. We need equipment that is reliable and durable.

As a college student, staying glow would probably be a little cheaper in the long run. That is assuming that you buy a second hand engine that's in good shape... you already have all the support equipement... and you can buy your fuel as you go, rather than all at once with electric.

To go to electric, even if you go with 8s batteries, you are likely going to need new chargers, at least two sets of batteries, wattmeter (if you don't already have one), etc.

If you feel that you REALLY NEED to go electric. Go with True RC batteries or something similar that will stand behind their products...

Tom M