RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

I was flying number 1 along just above idle, just poking along when all of a sudden she went into a spin. I could see something hanging off one of the wings...When i made it to the crash site, I found the aileron had ''fallen out'' of the wing... It didn't look lke there was any glue at all on the hinges...Thankfully Horizon sent me a new sukhoi to replace the old one
My H9 Sukhoi 26MM w/ DA 85 came apart in the air on the 12th flight. In my case the left side of the fuse failed in front of the wing allowing the engine firewall (and engine) to turn violently to the right. The back side of the prop struck the right side of the cowl, pieces flew everywhere and the sound was horrible. I killed the engine w/ the choke and was not able to make the runway. Post crash investigation revealed NO glue on several of the fuse/former joints on the left side of the fuse and in the area of the engine box (some locking tabs were completely clean, bare wood not even a hint of glue. I called Horizon, they graciously sent me a shipping label. I sent the fuse, prop, cowl, pictures, broken parts...all labeled and numbered with a description. No word for weeks. I called, they looked and looked...finally found my box...unopened. We spent 2 hrs. and 17 min. in "discussion" they said it was normal crash damage, it was not and I would not let up. They finally relented and sent me a brand new plane. I will buy from Horizon again. Two things: First, the DA85 is a horse and this plane is built very light. Be careful w/ the throttle stick. Second, CHECK ALL GLUE JOINTS ON EVERY ARF. I have several giant scale ARFs from several different manufacturers. The people that built these planes don't waste glue. Check, check and recheck. I've found and seen several potential disasters waiting to happen all due to poor quality glue joints. Airwayman