RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Help 4wd or 2wd
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:06 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Help 4wd or 2wd

I prefer 4WD. Luth7799 described the difference pretty well. 2WD has a tendency to break loose in the rear, and it is not as responsive in turns, especially under power when the front end tends to lift. 4WD seems to be able to pull through turns much better. But the 4WD definitely has much more going on mechanically, and that means more loss of power through the drive train and more parts.

I would also say that buggies are more nimble and quicker than trucks in general, although that depends on the specific models being compared. So I prefer buggies or maybe a truggy to a monster truck. The only real advantage I see to a MT is the ground clearance for really rough terrain. That may be good for bashing, but not so much for racing.

The most important aspect of a 4WD to me is whether it has a center differential which I believe gives you much better handing. But I am not sure if you can get center diffs in electrics which I believe tend to have fixed center drive shafts. But my experience is not in electrics. I like nitro, but for racing in the winter, I am sure electric indoor is your best bet.

My last comment - check with your local tracks and be sure you know what the specs are for the class(es) you want to run.

Good luck, and welcome to the 2D world!