RCU Forums - View Single Post - New product; Wild Hare goes electric!
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New product; Wild Hare goes electric!

BTW we will have the web page on this new plane up in about a week I hope, but here's a news update.

I have decided on the components and price for the "power kit", which will include everything you need to complete the plane except for the batteries.

The kit will have brushless outrunner motor which can generate up to 900 watts, but normally it would be kept down to about 500-550 which is plenty for anything with this plane. On a freshly charged 4S-3300 Lipo it turns a 12-6 APC electric prop about 10,300 rpm which is enough to yank it out of sight vertically in about 5 seconds. It's the kind where the base mounts to the plane and the can part spins, the prop adapter is bolted to the can. None of that cumbersome "clamp to the shaft" prop adapter nonsense, it's simple, straightforward and very powerful.

The ESC is a 60 amp unit with a 5 amp BEC. That's 60 amps continuous with an 80 amp burst for 10 seconds. Also the ESC will accomodate up to 6S lipo just in case you feel the need to go racing or something. I wish I had known about this stuff when we had the LR1s, this would have been an excellent setup for that little plane. The ESC is also programmable (with addition of a $10 programming card) to adjust basic parameters such as brake, motor cutoff/voltage, soft start, etc. It's not a cheap[ie, it's a very good ESC. I hav etried it with a 50 amp ESC of the same brand but for a few bucks more I decided to get the 60 amps unit which will be more useful if you want to put it in another plane later.

The power-kit will include 5 HD power servos rated at about 29 oz. each. I have tested these guys on my test plane, they work absolutely great on elevators (use two, on on each side) and ailerons (also 1 per wing) and this servo is adequate for rudder. In normal everyday flying nothing else is needed, if you want to knife edge from horizon to horizon then you can upgrade the rudder servo in several ways. You can replace the single mini servo with a stronger digital servo, or there is provision for using a standard size servo mounted amidship with a pushrod or pull-pull setup. Either way will cost about $20 to upgrade. The servos will come with necessary extensions as well.

The power-kit will also include an APC E-prop and a 2" Dubro plastic spinner, screws and blind nuts for mounting the motor, and some velcro to use in holding down the battery and mounting small components like the receiver and ESC.

If you buy the plane and the power kit you will quite literally have everything you need to go flying except a receiver and batteries.

Oh, one other thing. The motor and ESC come with all the connectors already soldered on, there will be no soldering required. Just plug it all in and go.

The power kit will be priced at $150 if you purchase it with the plane, $199 if you just want to buy it to use on (heaven forbid) a competitor's plane. So if you want to try out electric aerobatics (this little plane will easily fly the IMAC sequences) $349 will get you in the air.

TF