RCU Forums - View Single Post - What was your first Radio?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 05:55 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first radio

Berkely Super Airotrol single channel tone--took two 67.5 volt batteries and two 1.5 volt D cells for the Tx. Don't remember what batteries the Rx took to light up the filament. Cost way too much for the batteries. More than a kid like me could afford.
It wouldn't/I couldn't make it work too well, so I got a Citizenship single channel tone set. Had problems with that one too. We're talking about the middle 1950's here. Time goes on......1966 came, and I had an OS Minitron single channel set that actually worked.....sometimes. Ate batteries like the devil. Crashed my Falcon 56 every weekend...both Saturday and Sunday. Whole week to rebuild....then crash some more..Bought stock in Amberoid. (glue)
1967 was a good year. Bought a Galaxy 5 from the one and only Ted White, the pattern champ. Had monsterous servos, but was a great radio. Got a PCS that year too, then followed with a Kraft. It took about a months pay to buy a radio then.
All of those old radios are still in the cabinet. My two uncles and I learned to fly on them, and have many memories to look back on. One of the uncles is gone now, but he'll always be loved and never be forgotton.....we had more fun together than any three guys should have been allowed to have. The fun police are still looking for us!
I'm 58 years old, and have been flying for 51 years....loved every minute of it. Met alot of really neat guys and made alot of long time friends; that's what this hobby of ours is all about.
Treasure it.....we are a small community.

Harley Condra
AMA 2045
BVM REP
RAM REP