RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why are there so few rear exhaust engines?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why are there so few rear exhaust engines?

ORIGINAL: downunder

[link=http://www.enya-engine.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=460&zenid=291e1a046b9338b1439fc1cbf581b897]Enya[/link] have just released their 32 CXL TN (for RC) and CXLS (for CL) rear exhaust engine and I suspect it's just the first in a new range of RE engines. I have quite a number of RE engines (hey, I like them ) ranging from OS 40-61VF's, Irvine 40 and 61, Stalker 61, Stass's 42 and Taipan 15. Rear exhaust doesn't necessarily mean high timing though, the 40-46 VF's are very mildly timed, the VF61 and Irvine 61 have normal (SE/muffled) RC timings.

Most current RE engines though are designed for CL stunt and either aren't easily available (you can't just go to your LHS and get one) or are quite expensive. They can be used either with a pipe or muffled. Jett sells a muffler hidden inside the header pipe for their RE engines. Regardless of the hype, I have my sincere doubts that electrics will take over any time soon.

Last year I bought a Rossi .61 AXE rear exhaust engine from rossieusa on "The Bay". The price was high at $299.99, but whatcha gonna do? If you want to play, you're gonna pay. I have a Bridi XLT kit which was just begging for a RE engine. Now it has one. The engine is unran, but beautiful. We're talking BPA here, or a great sport flyer. I couldn't get my hands on Rossi engines back when I was flying pattern (trying anyway). My timing was off. When I had the money for a Rossi, they were always out of stock. Now I have six or seven Rossi engines. It's funny how things work out. I love four-strokes, but they don't interest me for classic pattern. It's true that the electrics are taking over, but not for me. I like electric powered models for sport flying, but no way in a classic pattern model. I would even forbid four-strokes. Two-strokes only in classic pattern. I just woke up. Where's my coffee?

Ed Cregger