RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gauging interest, Hellcat group build
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words guys. Dail, are you telling me you want a bigger airplane?!!

Still don't have the Hellcat on its' gear but that's because I've been doing other stuff instead. The tail surfaces are now attached, elevators are attached and hooked up, tail fillets are coming along nicely, fuselage "stinger" is on, and the belly pan is glassed. Oh, and I've added the cowl flaps as well. Still trying to determine whether I will modify the cowl plug to include the open flaps or let the builder cut them free and open them up. The latter method results in a more scale appearance but is, obviously, more work. On the tail fillets I've made a molding from which the fillets can be cut but, to be honest, I'm not sure it's any easier than carving from foam or soft balsa. Still, it will be there for the guys that want to use it. Construction is pretty much done now and it's all finish work from here. As you see it here, including the tail wheel retract and three servos, it tips the scales right at 5.5 pounds. I should be able to finish up under 10 pounds and unless you are a particularly heavy builder this should be as heavy as they get. Test flights are on the near horizon!