RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPA3D vs. Beginner ???'s
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 12:03 PM
SPADFORME
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3D vs. Beginner ???'s

Here is my experience with the qhor series. I first built the pqhor with the old style J wing. I had a little warp in the wing and it was a big problem. But the biggest problem was throttle managment. These things will not fly fast. The first pqhor had a 25 fp on it. I took off and kept it at full throttle, which was the wrong thing to do. It looked like I couldn't make up my mind weather to crash or fly it. It was all over the place and was on the virge of crashing at any minute, exstremely unstable. I only flew it once. Next I rebuilt it with Tattoo's new wing style, and put a 46 fx on it. I had one of our experienced 3d pilots fly it first and WOW, IT WAS AMAZING. It did everything everyone talked about. I have all the throws set to barn door and all are 4". I then got on the sticks and actually hovered and harriered it for about 5 minutes. And then it happened a gust of wind and an out of control spad. It ended up going strait into the asphault parking lot. I now know what I did wrong. With these planes, unlike regular planes, you cut the throttle to get out of a bad situation. I did the reverse, I gave it full power and only made things worse. The 3d pilot that was spotting for me kept screaming cut the power, cut the power, but I was trying so hard to keep it in the air and not hit anything that I didn't understand what he was saying until it was to late. If you will cut the power to idle when you get in a bind, the spa3d will stop, and I mean stop doing what ever it is doing and just sit there. This is the best advice that I can lend to someone flying one of these for the first time. Don't expect the spa3d to fly like a conventional plane. I was trying to fly it like my stick. Big mistake, on a conventional plane like a stick you use power to get you out of trouble, on the spa3d you cut the power to get you out of a bind, if you keep this in mind you will save yourself a lot of hair. By the way I am a beginner. I have been flying a big stick 40 and a low wing spad for about 4 months, and am flying without expo. The crash report on the spa3d that went strait into the asphault at almost full throttle- stripped the 2 screws that hold the motor mount to the channel and a stripped throttle servo. A total of about 3 minutes to fix, lets see you put a balsa plane into the asphault and see how long it takes to fix it.

I am now building a spa3d for our best 3d pilot. after flying mine he had to have one.

I hope this will help with the answer to the original question. These spa3d's are very quick to get out of shape and are very very very responsive to control input so don't band the sticks and cut the trottle to get out of a bad situation. And they don't like fast.