RCU Forums - View Single Post - SPA3D vs. Beginner ???'s
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Tattoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3D vs. Beginner ???'s

My experience with higher speed flight and the the QHOR's and Spa3d has been quite favorable, but I will say that here is quite possibly the best case for how critical aileron neutral position is. On my PQHOR, the first flight was a roller coaster, because although I had set the aileron neutral parallel to the fuselage, at the fuselage, they were drooped slighty towards the tips. This slight amout of added lift caused it to balloon at higher speeds which caused me to push down...and the faster I went the worse it got and I''ll be darned if it didn't look like I had had a 5th of whiskey on the way to the field...I began raising the ailerons a clevis turn at a time, and within 3 flights it was flying on rails and I could go full throttle at will just like a sport plane. My Spa3d I got right on the money, and it flies full throttle fine...but...and the reason I wrote about it in the instructions...USE Caution! Spadforme is totally correct, these planes are for 3D type stunts, and putting a .47 on something like this is for plenty of power for pulling out of hovers, bursts for waterfalls, and feeding power into flat spins etc. The power is not for setting speed records and pylon racing because the large control surfaces will flex, the music wire will flex, the tail will flex, and we've even SEEN the leading edge flex at higher speeds. Yes I can fly my Spa3d at full throttle straight and level, but no, it's not for high speed high G maneuvers, and I'm not willing to try and find out if it can do these things. That's what the DPS and SpadStick type of sport planes are for. The Spa3d and QHOR's are for a differnent level of fun and completely different style of flying altoghether! The best way I could describehow they fly would be: Have you ever seen a large piece of cardboard blowing in the wind high in the sky, tumbling end for end? Now imagine turning it into plastic, slapping a tail on it for stability, an engine for power, and then having the ability to stop it dead in it's tracks in the air. From there you can continue the tumble if you want, positive or negitive G. You can flat spin it as if someone threw it like a frizbee, you can pancake it in a turn so sharp, your going in a different direction with no turning radius, you can set up a high angle of attack and surf on the wind indefinately, and if you throttle back in this attitude, it will settle to the ground in a no speed landing. Sure you can tone down the throws and fly around conventionaly...but then you woudn't have all the "conventional" sport flyers picking their eyeballs off the ground