RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best way to charge a RX pack
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best way to charge a RX pack

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I also have to agree with most of what RCKen said. Gary is in error in several points. First off, NiCads will not be damaged by discharging to zero volts, in fact, NASA recommends that they be stored with a shorting bar across their terminals. What will damage them is a reverse charge or discharge at a rate so high it raises their internal temperature over limits. As long as the discharge rate is kept to .3C or less, no damage will occur. Also, as we use them, NiCads do not exhibit a memory. Under some circumstances you can get voltage depression (also happens to NiMh). An occasional deep discharge and recharge at 0.1C for 16 hours tends to recover from said depression. For long life, your batteries (NiCad and NiMh) will give you longer life (more charge/discharge cycles) if you always use a slow charge (0.1C) rather than a peak charger. Heat is the biggest factor in lowering the lifespan of Nixx batteries as the separator deteriorates faster at higher temperatures. While fast charging is convenient, it definitely decreases the lifespan of the batteries.
I didn't say discharging Nicads to zero volts was bad. In fact I pointed out that some racers "Dead Shorted" their packs allthough I never did. And I allways dropped off at 0.9 volts.

And Ill dissagree with the comment that Nicads will NOT develope a memory as we use them. Nicads are like muscles. They require exercize to remain flexiable.

Sorry guys, unless some new majic nicad tech has sprung up within the last two years, I think I know what I'm talking about. Or Ernie Provetti lied to me. [>:]

Ken, Your in Lawton. Go to the race track and look up Dave Alford. Tell him Biff sent ya.

Love this forum! We can agree to dissagree, without flaming!

Thanks