RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 AM
babynuggo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice for 6 year-old w/ newbie parents

I realize that I'm a bit of a fish out of water in this forum, but I hope you will indulge me because I wanted to seek the unbiased opinions of experts.

My son is six years old and very enthusiastic about the idea of getting a rc monster truck. I grew up with a big brother who spent his childhood building and crashing (oh, and flying) rc airplanes, but other than this I have no experience with this hobby. Neither does my husband. But,

I am hoping that someone could recommend an appropriate vehicle for us. My sense is that the "toy grade" versions seem to be of inferior quality, and I do like the idea that this could be a hobby that will grow with my child (and perhaps even become a "family thing"), so I am willing to make a bit of an investment. But I would hope to keep it at around the $200 range, if possible.

We live in a brownstone in the center of Philadelphia, so don't have a lot of wide open space. It would be great if this could be something that Gray could use a bit indoors and outdoors in parking lots and neighborhood parks. Given these space constraints, a smaller (mini or micro) versions sounds intriguing.

The thing needs to have enough power to maneuver through uneven grass and up and over a ramps and some hills. The ability to do wheelies would be a huge feature.

After he gets the hang of it, an adult will be nearby, but perhaps not closely supervising. So, we'd like to stay away from something that could potentially be too dangerous.

Any suggestions that members might have regarding the size/type of car to get, and which models are the best (and best value for the money) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!