RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

R.J., Looking forward to your builds! The OK Cub engine is going to be okay but they are built kinda like a Testors engine. Lots of smoke and noise, but not much power. I think it has to do with them using a standard short glow plug. With these tiny engines, even the size of the glow plug hole has a big impact on how well they do! Hopefully, you will have a good one on your hands, but nothing beats the power of a Cox engine for .049 size. It really is a shame they fell away like they did. I have a couple of OK Cub engines too. One even has a pull-string recoil starter. I picked them up for a couple of ancient Berkeley Models ducted fan models of jets that I have, mostly just to keep my copies of them period correct. I doubt that I'll ever try and fly with what is in the kit for an impeller and motor, but it's sure going to make a couple of really nice shelf queens.

I sure wish Dumas would come back with those two kits. They do go for unreal prices. I've been trying to snag whatever Atlas that comes up just so I can make a copy of the cowling out of fiberglass. I think probably the largest reason behind Dumas not re-issuing the little Atlas is the advertising contract between the two has run out, and they are not re-newing it. Its a shame that type of issue has to become our issue also with not being able to get the kit.

The Short Stuff kit is still offered I think. Thats a nice little deep V hull and when I get mine I think I'm going to stage it up to run a Cox .09 engine. I think that combination will almost overpower it.