RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/2A Size Dumas Boat Club
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
R.J. West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Size Boat Club

Hi Jetpak,
 I have a Dumas Short stuff laying around and I noticed thats it reconmends a .09-.10 engine so I think your fine. Theres a Cox Tee-dee .09 on ebay now and a Atlas w/ miss thriftway also just to let you know.

I just won a 18" Dumas Miss Thriftway" on ebay couple days ago, should be home this week...All complete in the box. WhooHoo!

question for ya, uh...how do you start these things? (insert embarassed smile here)  I know how to start a cox when its on a airplane.
I'm familar on starting a nitro inboard engine using a belt,  but an .049?

Now my 18" atlas build is going well. I did cut out lightening holes in the bulkheads and stringers to lose some weight and provide a way for water to drain out, however I disagree with that by adding a micro servo and receiver w/battery pak would add "too much weight" to get up on plane like what was suggested by other modelers. 

My thoughts were to put the servo and receiver up front of the engine, run a flex cable in a aluminum tube back for the rudder. This hull is originally intended for a tethered line, not r/c. And setting up the hardware as it is in the plans probably wont work too good w/ added r/c gear. 

However my line of thinking is that putting more weight up front to compensate for the added speed by getting the PROPER DRIVESHAFT ANGLE/DEPTH is the key to getting the rpm's outa these cox engines. The way the driveshaft is setup in the plan, yeah I dont think its going handle too well w/ the prop under the hull, I'm thinking real hard about that "head of the river r/c" gear that was mentioned earlier.....