RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S. V-Spec catastrophic failure?!?!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Zerodefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. V-Spec catastrophic failure?!?!

I recommend RB because they are the most trouble free engines I've ever owned and everyone that runs them seems to have real good reliability and good things to say about them. They wear well to.

Every RB that I've seen has great bearings and conrods. Two items that many engines go cheap on. Carb are allmost as easy to tune as OS's.

Power is a touchy subject because if your racing long mains then you need fuel economy as well. The Vspec and Novarossi +4 have RB beat at this balence. RB deosn't have a engine that competes directly with the V-spec like Novrossis +4. The Hobby9 is RBs best bet if these two are the best balence of speed vs fuel economy at your track.

Unfortunately I'm running a tight track and only 15 min mains. Any motor makes it on 1 stop. So I don't have the best advice on fuel economy this year. Just previous experience from last year..

I usually recommend 3 port engines becuase they usually only lack top end which most Club level tracks really don't need. Can save alot of money running the Junior9 or N21b and if you do convice the track to use longer mains 30min-1hr. The 3 ports have great fuel economy.

The WS9 is an absolute beast but its a top end motor with a slightly soft bottom. Nothing a 2045 pipe and a good clutch setup cant fix. Perfect for buggy but it drinks a little more fuel than the +4 or Vspec. The soft bottom is great for traction limited buggies, but I never even noticed it. It seemed as torqey as anything else I've driven. I may buy another one of these. I'm only running 15 minute mains on a tight track so I could care less about mileage. So If your wanting more top end power and alot of people are running 7 port engines at your track......this is the best 7 port mill I've ever seen. I don't think there is any .21 that can hang with it on a long straight. Maybe a ToroNero.

The Hobby9 is right in the middle. Should get similar mileage to the Vspec and +4. Really a great engine. If your concerned about mileage and power than my top picks are the Novarossi +4 and the RB Hobby 9.

After 9 gallons my WS7III's ( now called the WS9) conrod and bearings were good as new. I had barely worn through the crank pins black coating. My pinch was gone but my compression and performance was perfect. It ran better at 9 gallons then it did at 2.

Use the 2045 pipe and long header for RB engines.

I don't recommend the Killer9. It is not truely an RB. It may be a good engine. But the only thing it has in common with other Rb motors is the name. Its made in Tawian and I think its part of the reason Rody left RB. This, and the mighty +4 is why I'm running Novarossi power now. RB's are made by Novarossi and are very similar.

Also keep in mind that RB and Novarossi don't have customer service like OS. You don't need good CS when your perfect, is thier point of view. I've never heard of a warranty claim or the need of one with RB or Novarossi. So don't count on tech support with these two.