RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldmine in a dump!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 02:17 AM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage full of balsa

I can vouch for Jim's story because we visited this garage many times before Jim's buyout and bought small quantities of balsa blocks for our immediate building needs. We were also offered the total amount but declined as did not want to find a storage and required cutting /sales/disposal method. My understanding was that this "Goldmine " of balsa originated from a local retailor of
insurance loss items from fire, flooding, bankruptcy, etc. Anyhow, bought some large balsa planks at an auction at a deceased marine repair business some years later and found that one doesn't want to be making a lot of saw cuts in large balsa planks without having some method of dust control. After filling my basement with clouds of balsa dust, figured I should quit before the wife found balsa dust on her kitchen pantry shelves. Still have a quantity of planks stuffed in the basement ceiling rafters. Probably be there when the house is sold for estate purposes. When I need some 1/16 balsa sheets, it is easier to buy them at the local hobby shop and cleaner!