RCU Forums - View Single Post - brushless on Nimh
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brushless on Nimh

ORIGINAL: Access

ORIGINAL: rebuilder
Access is right, if the batts cant provide the esc/motor what its asking for voltage and amperage-wise then it strains the ESC. If i remember correctly the capacitors wont stay charged up and it will cause them to fail eventually, thats how a guy at castle explained it to me, something to that effect.
A much better explanation is what I said above, what I was being told before someone told me this made little actual sense. Reverse current when braking makes perfect sense, and it is something I've actually seen on a scope. That's the way it was explained to me recently in both forums and person. Even the very first brushless ESCs did this. It's not that the capacitors won't stay charged up, it's that they overcharge (overvoltage) and this causes failures.
Yeah........i was trying to recall a phone conversation with a Castle tech.............something along the lines that eventually the voltage from the batts goes straight thru the esc when the capacitors are not keeping "full"??. Im not that knowledgable in electric currents and such, i just know it made sense what he was telling me. Either way, i certainly dont intend to run any of my stuff with batteries that supply less than what the motor is capable of pulling. The higher kv 540's pull in the 60-80 amp range under full load.