RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric Airplanes for Dummies
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Airplanes for Dummies

Is there a single page somewhere that just gives all the simple rules of thumb for putting an electronic power system into an airplane?
Most manufacturers are starting to recommend power systems for their airplanes. But, no, there is no one page that will cover everything.

I get confused about voltages, amps, watts, "C" rating formulas, Io ratings etc.
When using Lipo's, each cell is 3.7 volts. When they are wired in series (S), the total voltage is equal to the sum of the cells. A 3 cell battery will be 11.1 volts and would be called a (3S) or a (3S1P) battery. The (P) stands for a parallel pack. If you take the same battery and parallel it with an identical battery, it is now a (3S2P). It is a still an 11.1 volt pack, but the capacity (mAh) has doubled.

When using two 3S packs wired in series (6S), you now have a 22.2 volt pack. But, the capacity will remain the same as the individual 3S packs.

The amp rating is the total capacity of the pack, as in how much energy is contained in the pack.

Watts = Volts x Amps. Total watts will determine what kind of performance you will get from a system. For 3D flight, you want 150 watts per Lb for the aircraft. Scale Aerobatics, you can get by with 100 watts per Lb.

C rating is is how much energy you can safely pull from a battery pack. For example, a 1300 Mah battery rated at 10C, can safely be discharged at 13 amps (10x1.3=13).

How does it all come together?
Are you with me so far?
Doug