RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie With A Rustler - Mod Suggestions?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Bosoxfan0003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie With A Rustler - Mod Suggestions?

ORIGINAL: john01374

ORIGINAL: Bosoxfan0003

Fantastic, thanks! Tell me more about the balancer, low voltage alarm, etc. Specifically why I need them and what they might run. Thanks again!
Bos - A balancer and low voltage alarm are only needed when you make the switch to Lipo batteries. Like standard Nimh batteries lipo's are made up of multiple cells but they are much more sensitive to voltage and need to be balanced regularly so you should always balance them before and during charging.

The low voltage cut alarm is just like it sounds. It alerts you when your Lipo battery is getting too low on voltage. It's a bad idea to drain a Lipo below 3.2V per cell so the Alarm starts flashing around 3.4V per cell and makes an awful Beeping sound when they get to 3.2V

If you want to go Lipo right away (and it's not a bad idea) then just let me know. I've been messing with them for almost 3 years now and I can walk you through it.

And Like CEN said. My preference for the VXL motor is just that. A personal preference. Nothing wrong with the Mamba motor is light weight trucks.
Im still not quite sure of the benefits of going LiPo. More powere? Longer life? My friend that owns Hobbytown here told he some horror stories of people forgetting to disconnect them from the chargers, etc. Such as the interior of a guys truck going up in flames. If I did go LiPo early on, is there anything I'd have to change on the Rusty?