RCU Forums - View Single Post - ZIROLI P-61 BLACK WIDOW BUILD
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ZIROLI P-61 BLACK WIDOW BUILD

Sam:

Yes, the big one flies about the same as the VQ, although a little "heavier" and smoother, as is typical with the big twins. Compared to a P-38, it turns much more crisply and stays up in the turns with less power. Installing the larger ailerons will theoretically give you more drag in the turns, but I doubt you will be able to tell on the model.

I use that prop a lot with G-62's (and my old BME- 61). I get about 7,300 rpm at 900 ft altitude and an abundance of power. The high needle is not super-tweaked, just to be safe. I'm sure you could get a little more out of the G-62's. I have zero experience with 4-blades, so I can't help you with that.

After a considerable amount of search, I settled on Tru-turn's P-51 profile spinners, which in a small size come pretty close to scale look. You may be able to find something closer to scale, but hard to beat their ease of attachment and replaceability.

Yes, the green with the invasion stripes is hugely more visible in the air than Blackie. It may be more about the invasion stripes than the green, if you can find a black original with stripes. You can see maiden day was actually dense overcast. I would NEVER have flown Blackie on such a day.

Don't get me wrong here: I love the feel of the G-62's, but I know you like the scale look: take a look at how much of the bottom cowl is cut out on Blackie and make sure you're OK with that. I don't see how you could get around it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44845.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1327928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82913.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1327929