RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which engine for Extra 300 - 100cc
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Agilefalcon
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which engine for Extra 300 - 100cc

Isn't it great that we do have these choices? To be honest, I probably would have gone with the DLE 111 but I was fortunate enough to sell some hobby gear that I wasn't using and so had a few hundred extra dollars to put toward a motor.

I don't know that the DLE line of engines has enough of a history just yet, for establishing their longevity and reliability. If you look just two years ago at the DL line, they didn't seem to be an option at all. Recently though, these engines look great on the inside and on the outside and appear to be holding up well with the necessary performance and inflight reliability.

I read elsewhere on the forum and quotable quote, "The DLE is the engine for the masses, the DA is for the classes." Whether that's true or not, I don't know but it is an interesting quote.

I attended just two events related to IMAC and there were no DLE engines at either of them, 1 Kroma, and a couple of 3W - the rest were all DA which I think is most impressive.

The Kroma was a big twin and flew very well indeed but they are just now getting a distributor here in the US I believe. OS now have a 50cc class engine (55cc possibly) but it's so new and they haven't shown up yet at the fields I fly at.

A local hobby shop has the Area 102 motor for a bargain price; however, it's mounting isn't common with either the 3W or the DA so you to do your own firewall prep (no big deal really). Plus, it's advertised with a Walbro carb but actually comes with an EMAS (isn't that on the DLE also).

Chris.