RCU Forums - View Single Post - ENFORCER OWNERS ~~ This is your thread
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
chaparral 97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ENFORCER OWNERS ~~ This is your thread

It's been quite a while that I've wanted a gas boat. I almost bought a Ballantine Griffin about 7 - 8 yrs ago. But I recently pulled the trigger and went with Whobbies. It's already been quite a concentrated adventure.Picked upthe boat 2 weeks ago from Tony (I live about 3 hrs away - another reason why I chose him and as you read on you'll see why THAT was a good move). I live right on the Intracoastal in Clearwater but I didn't want to run it in salt right away so I went to 2 different lakes and ran it there. I was having a hell of a time with it fluctuating on rpm's and it cutting out. I probably retrieved it 20x in my kayak. I was trying to adjust the carb like mad. I have an RMCK in it and the carb was set from Tony at about 1 1/4 LS & 1 5/8 HS. This was completely different from what Bruce at Gizmomotors says (2 LS / 1 HS). Funny thing, when I ran it back of my house it ran beautiful (Toy's settings). After 6 days I Finally figured it out. At both the lakes there were high tension wires and I'm running AM with a Kill Guard and failsafe. AM hates those wires.
So, just as I figure this out and it's now almost broken in (almost a gallon of camp fuel thru it) I run it into the rocks of my bulkhead. Cracks in the gelcoat of the hull and a shattered prop. All this in a week! I think I concentrated about a years worth of boating emotions in one week. That's the bad part.
The good part is I immediately call Tony and he says to bring it in and I do the next day. I meet with his glass guy who says no problem, I'll have it looking new and they do it in a few days at a more than wonderful price (Fantastic customer care!). I decided to have them ship the boat to me as it's one day to my house and I'm tired of the 3 hr drive. I should get it today. Oh yea, yesterday I bought the Futaba 3 PM-X on e-bay (great price- $168 w/ free shipping).
This has been an intense learning curve and what did I learn? Well, a gas boat does not turn so well at low speed and you better allow enough distance to make a turn if you accelerate it to make a turn. One other thing - It doesn't have reverse (bummer).
So, I'll be starting fresh again with more experience under my belt and more security in the boat.
When it was not near tension wires it ran great. Idled excellent, etc. I haven't even dialed it in yet. Very curious to see what kind of speed I can get out of it w/ RCMK.

Please let me know what kind of GPS I should use for it and where to get one at a good price.

Robbie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19337.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1331216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56927.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1331217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70115.jpg
Views:	172