RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another large scale Impreza project
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Frederik_b

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another large scale Impreza project

Hello,

Afew years ago I started to think about building a large scale car and bought a small 7x10metal lathe. I bought some parts online and on ebay and now have most of the important mechanical components. After looking at your projects here for a while I thought I could introduce myself and my project. This is a slow progress project as I have plenty of other things to do, let me know what you think.

I own an impreza WRX so naturally when I saw this body on ebay for about 50$ I was very happy! At that time my only hope was that I could remove the paint and do it to look more like a real subie !
Copyof3347_1.jpg?t=1206218039

After removing all paint :
IMG_1787.jpg?t=1206218153

2 coats of blue metallic paint, and subaru logo and windows still tape masked, and quick wheels test fitment. Also added some black detailing around the windows
IMG_1864.jpg?t=1206218213

Here with the yellow SWRT logo (actuallymasked andpainted, not a sticker), and next to a 7up can and small 1/18 scale (Rallyart die cast) car for size reference :
IMG_1882.jpg?t=1206218348
IMG_1873.jpg?t=1206218348
IMG_1875.jpg?t=1206218348

I bought MCR rally tires:
MCDRallyTires.jpg?t=1206218726

and a pocket bike 37 cc engine (not my engine but it is identical)
47cc.jpg?t=1206218726

Test fitting used FG wheels(from ebay) with paitend body:
IMG_1886.jpg?t=1206221342
IMG_1891.jpg?t=1206221342

I bought 2 different kind of balljoints and used FG shockson ebay. I wanted to have something more tangible than my autocad and solidworks drawings to I started to test the suspension principle with a wooden model. It also helps to see where the engine would be etc

Engine placement :

Here you can see the power transmission layout

I want to make it 4WD so I bought timing belt and pulleys, I machined the inside of an aluminium pulleyto mount itright beside the diff gear.There will then be a belt going under the engine and to the front (a la FG baja 4x4) to send power to the front.

Here are some snapshots of my autocad drawings. In the second pic you can see how I planned to install the timing belt that will transfer power to the front wheels

I also use solidworks to test other 3d mechanism like the mechanical disk brakes:

Here are the MCD joints I will be using in the front, bought on ebay from a guy in UK.

As the front and rear will be linked by a timing belt, there will be no center diff (locked front/rear). I'll try to find another diff to put it in the front. Otherwise I might lock the front as well using only a simple pulley with joints on both sides.

Right now I changed my mind again on the suspension and made a new wooden chassis with macpherson suspension, but I don't have pics yet. Here is a snapshot of my cad drawing for the macpherson:

The macpherson strut will not contain the shock. I will mount the shock separately on the lower arm as most cars.

In the rear I will also use the kind of macpherson strut except it has 2 lower arms that prevent strut rotation, and 1 trailing arm (like the actual impreza suspension)