RCU Forums - View Single Post - why a cub?
Thread: why a cub?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why a cub?

I was one of those guys who would never, never, ever own a cub......

Then Hanger 9 came out with their first 80" cub..something hit me like a ton of bricks - I had to have one. Got it, put hours and hours and hours on it..wore out three pairs of tires doing touch and goes (on grass!) It is indeed difficult to fly well. The highest compliment anyone can pay you is "Gee, that looked like a real plane up there!! ....and the cub has been on the receiving end of that comment many. many times.

Anyone can yank and bank and fly fast.....it takes a darn sight more skill to fly slowly and realistically. Nail that, and the cub makes you look good - but you got to work at it and earn it. The payback in satisfaction is enormous. I've flown lots of over powered, thick wing lightly loaded aerobatic types that can do anything.....they just don't offer any satisfaction. You just stir the sticks, then land when you get low on fuel. You have an empty feeling after the flight because, nothing really happened. The plane flip flopped through the air and made some noise...ho hum.....

Not so with a cub. You side slip it down, flair, grease the main wheels on, and hold the tail up til it is almost stopped and you know you have accomplished something (then you take off and try to do it even better next time!!)