RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ventura- new Quique Somenzini design
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ventura- new Quique Somenzini design

Brian,

I can speak from personal experience here, the pin system is not ideal for glow setups especially. However, with no vibration on the electrics the pin system does just fine. Quique did not do this, but I would highly recommend going to your local hobby shop, picking up some thicker wire, and making your own pins. If your Ventura is like all three Euphorias I've had and like Quique's Venturas then the fit on the pins will be a little loose, especially on the outer 4 cabane pins.

Making your own pins is easy, just cut to proper length (remember to make it a little longer for the L bend) and use whatever you need to make the L bend on one end. Use something to make a point on the other end so the pin can guide its way through the wings and cabanes (the wholes inevitably don't line up perfectly). I used a belt sander but you could use a dremel or something. Also, your going to have to drill out the holes in the center nylon supports. To do this I just used a piece of the thicker wire, sanded it to a point, and threw it in the dremel. I used the dremel and SLOWLY drilled out the nylon with the thicker wire acting as a drill bit. I also took one of the pins and went through the cabanes (by hand) to loosen them up a bit, it's going to be tight the first time through. If everything goes to plan you should end up with a MUCH tighter wing platform that made a noticeable difference for me in flying characteristics. When I finally made the fix the old pins had worn some sizeable holes and I had almost 1/4 degree of incidence wobble on the top wing. Needless to say tightening up the wings made it a whole new airplane.

Also, you're probably going to think it's too tight. It's not. That's a good thing. If you have an impression in your hand from pushing that center pin in you know you did it right

Any more questions just shoot.