RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Nergall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCM CESSNA 0-1E/L-19 BIRD DOG Build

I built a couple tiny electrics this summer. I'm sick of it! I need bigger planes with reliable hardware and not tape for hinges...

Couple notes on hardware for this:

Saito .82. - Lightest weight engine in its class, but my decision rested primarily on the availability of a 2nd hand one from a fellow club member upgrading to gassers. He says it's only run about a half dozen times, so from what I hear of the Saito, I'll want to break it in further before mounting it on the plane.

Carbon fiber push rods - I didn't believe you all on the (many) Four Star builds and have used plastic ones up till now. You REALLY do have to adjust the trim everytime you fly.

Robart hinges - 1st timer on these. They seem highly recommended here! Also, they should make the flaps far easier. The plans call for a special brass hinge. I'm planning to just use the Robarts.

Monokote! - (OK, I know you all hate it, but it works fine for me.) I have some source pictures of the real planes, and they are all shiny. So, one less new thing to learn.

Still to be determined? The cowling. $50 including shipping from Fiberglass Specialties. I'd like to try making this myself, but if the build goes too slow, I may still order it.