RCU Forums - View Single Post - my first 2.4 crash
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: my first 2.4 crash

ORIGINAL: caltrop

My DX7 did the same thing and is still acting up after four trips back to Horizon. My DX7 has been behaving better but...

My mini Ultra Stick was flying level and suddenly did a flip-flop and nosed in full throttle. I was not pushing on the sticks at all and CRASH!

I'm still having glitching with my 2.4GHz system with several aircraft and at several different locations so there is no one thing interfering with it. I am skeptical of the whole 2.4GHz RC radio craze. I know the government is behind the switch like with Digital TV. You can only cram so much on a single frequency band and then it all goes to !#$%^&*!!!

The DX7 the receivers were originally advertised to operate down to 3V but in reality if it gets below 4V you're in trouble. Even with the new updates it is risky getting close to 4V. With a standard battery pack at 4.8V and BEC's at 5V it makes you wonder if it is safe to fly with 2.4GHz.

I am currently looking at the Hitec Aurora 9 but... Hitec is one of the last on the market with 2.4GHz and it looks like they did more R&D making sure they had a dependable radio system. The Aurora also use modules so you can switch to 72MHz or whatever. Too bad that 2.4GHz is not more cross compatable than 72MHz was. It just means that I will not be able to fly the micro toys that Horizon has been trying to get on the market. If I want a micro I'll get something else or build my own - POOH on Horizon!

I've already lost enough $$$ with 2.4GHz and am back to 72MHz and no more problems. That and the receivers are smaller and cheaper than 2.4GHz.
That's too bad you have had so much trouble. I shyed away from the Spektrum stuff as I did not like the way it looked. I do not fly the little toy planes so I had no need to use that system.
Why not get a module system from Hitec for an older radio you may have. I just added a module to an old 8U TX and it works great. $120 for a module and 2 RX'ers. You can always put your 72 module back in if you want. I don't understand the "not so cross compatible". All of my stuff goes right back to 72 if I want to. But why would I want to? 72 is past tense at this point. Time to look forward.