RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anderson Power Pole Connectors. Have you had a failure or not?

I talked to the guys in my club about powerpoles; the 'big guys' in my club strongly recommend them for higher amp applications. It was explained to me the importance of using the right connector for the right wire, specifically using the heaviest wire that will fit in the connector, or the smallest connector that will fit on your wire. This means use the 30A connectors for 12ga wire, and use the 45A connectors for 10ga wire.

I know that the ratings are mostly based on current draw, but voltage does have at least some influence in the matter. Powerpoles are rated at 30A or 45A at 120V, not 30V.

The guy I'm working with flies a lot, and flies all sorts of planes from foamies to giant scale, all electric. He uses powerpoles on everything, including his 10S and 12S applications.

The other thing that was strongly suggested was using their crimper for a 'foolproof' crimp. The quality of the crimp will affect the amount of current the connection can handle, and their specific crimper assures the right crimp.

Sorry this isn't personal experience with the connectors as that's really what we're all looking for here, but I'm interested in using them myself on my most prized F3A possession, for all the reasons stated above.

I would love to hear some personal experience with these connectors, especially which connector for what size wire and what application.