RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of jumping ship from Futaba to Hitec
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of jumping ship from Futaba to Hitec

I've thought about this quite a lot myself. I've been flying since I was 8 - almost 30 years now - hard to believe. One of my first radios was a Futaba FG (gold box).

I had a Jr. in the late 80s and early 90s and really really liked it but I got it as someone else was getting out of the hobby and would have never been able to afford it. For a long time Futaba has been the best, most economical bet (in my opinion).

One of the advantages that we have lost with the 2.4Ghz revolution is the ability to purchase receivers made by folks who aren't the transmitter manufacturers. Of course if you want PCM you have to go with your brand but for FM/PPM you could pretty much do as you pleased. For me I spent a lot of money on HiTec receivers - still far less than I would have on Futaba. I buy Futaba servos and my 9CAP Super was intended to last 5-10 years. If I go back and look at the price of an RD127FM I believe they were over $100 probably closer to $120 than not. Now we look at futaba's 7 channel 2.4 Ghz rx and it is $100 - ostensibly less than the RD127. The problem is - with Futaba's (or any other brand) 2.4Ghz technology we can't just go out and buy a hitec rx and go fly. We have to buy Futaba. This is a significant loss for the breadth of competition in our hobby. We have to purchase more complete systems than just parts. The 72Mhz dual conversion receivers I was using were in the $50 range with crystals (typically electron 6s).

I have also noticed that the prices of Futaba's radios have increased quite a lot these last few years. Inflation has been fairly stable so I don't think that would explain it. I've also noticed, as a side note that quite a bit of Hobbico's product line has increased in price. Look at OS Engines - the prices on their new line of alpha 4 strokes is way past ridiculous in my opinion. The OS 70 Surpass II was $209.99 when they discontinued it and the 56a is $284.99, the 72a (what would be the replacement of the 70SII I imagine) is $349.99. That is a 60% price increase. I won't be buying that engine I suspect...

My 9C Super when I purchased it with 4 3151 Digital servos and a 9 channel RX was $399.99 - with discount out the door it was $384.99. The 8 FG is $479.99 and the 10C is $649.99 both without any servos. Quite a bit higher in price - they can say that they have more and better features but they are competing in the same space as the 9C was so in my opinion they should be priced in that space (or does that space even exist anymore?).

So being budget minded myself I started considering the alternatives. I've been a fan of HiTec for some time and used them for parts like servos and receivers for some time. It depends on the servo type on if I go futaba or hitec. I find futaba's standard gear to be very good for my purposes and HiTecs mini (HS-65s and 81s) to be fine but a little pricey. With my appreciation for Hitec already cemented jumping to their gear is more of a step. At the recent AMA show I looked at the gear - I didn't even bother picking up a Futaba radio.

I don't think Futaba has slapped me in the face - their prices for the RXs compared to their 72Mhz gear is less I believe but it is still too high. Since I can't buy any other brand support gear I've got to consider another brand's system.

With the spectra module my 9C has a longer life - with their competitive prices Hitec has won a customer over. I will be considering an Aurora in the future because as it stands now I have 3 of their 2.4 Ghz receivers and plans to order even more in the coming months.

Hobbico, in my mind is either being really successful with other modelers or really foolish with their prices. I honestly don't know their financial position but in the most recent years I have been ordering less from them and shopping more at my local Hobby People and other shops. I know that is good in general but Tower, Great Planes, OS and Futaba have been staples in this hobby for me since day 1. Seeing them fail for me would be sad.

I wish that they weren't pricing themselves out of my reach. I've had wonderful experiences with them ( and a few less than wonderful), their service and their support have almost always been above and beyond. The thing is - I've had nearly equal expereinces with Global and Hobby People.

Just my few cents...