RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where are you hiding your switches?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2003, 12:32 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default hiding switches

I have seen three techniques successfully to hide switches.

First, and you mentioned it already, scale or scale-like hatches with magnetic catches. On my Aerotech P47, the ignition on/off and charge jack is under one such panel on the font of the fuse right behind the cowl. I leave it open during startup for fast access in case of emergency.

Second, on my Yellow Zero, I "hid" the ignition switch and chage jack under the top lip of the cowl so that it is visible only from the rear of the plane, and easily accessible to the helper during start ... and invisible elsewhere. Worked out well on that plane since there is about a 3/4" gap between the cowl and the fuse at that point.

Third, on my Bearcat, the canopy area is removable with two of the BVM spring loaded pins, and all the switches are inside .. and we leave the canopy off while starting .. of all three approaches, this one is the most "questionable" since access takes a few seconds if the canopy is put back on...

And, on some of my "to fly (alot)" vs. super-scale warbirds, the switches are mounted in the fuse sides per std practice...

Dave