RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another large scale Impreza project
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Frederik_b

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Another large scale Impreza project

I found a picture the other day of a cutaway shock and I thought about doing my shocks the same way. There arerubber seals and also 2 brass sleeves.I have 3/4 inch aluminium tubing with 1/2 inch inside diameter that I will use as the shock body,

I thought about finding large 1/2 bolts that I could machine to make a cap at the bottom of the shock tube, and the other end of the shock.
Step1 : the bolt, complete
Step2: remove excess material
Step3: Drill a hole slightly larger than the shock rod
Step4: Machine the inside of the bolt to hold the brass bushings and rubber seals shown on step 5
Step5: Machine the brass bushings and find appropriate rubber seals
Step6: the final result that would screw in the top part of the shock tube

Pretty much the same for the bottom cap exceptthere is no hole and there is a small notch for a rubber seal (see the complete shock assembly, there is a small notch at the bottom). Thinking about it, there should probably be one seal like this on top too.

Then would have to find clips that would hold the brass bushings. What do you think about it ? I will try to find an correctly sized and good grade bolt type that I can machine. I will probably buy extra of those bolts and maybe try to tap the aluminium tube with actual bolts.. not sure it's going to work, I will probaly have to buy a tap.

And some tests of the general layout, with one front wheel and one rear wheel suspension done

Frederik