RCU Forums - View Single Post - 33rd America's cup - Multi dual cat or tri ???
Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
GLX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 33rd America's cup - Multi dual cat or tri ???

I agree with you - whilst these superb and rather extreme boats are a spectacle to see they have no place for the america's cup which should be a repeat of 2007 which attracted huge crowds and kept the interest throughout the LVC and then the AC with Alinghi. This 2 horse race which spent more time in court then on the water is too much like the AC of the US vs AUS where Denis Connor ran off with the cup with his cata vs the giant monohull of the ausies... It was a time to forget and this is a repeat....

It is a pitty for the america's cup and LVC. To be honest I can't see many othersyndicatespooring the kind of money them two did (the rumour is c€150-€200m each)... makes you wonder... Anyway I think everyone is waiting for this little game to be over in order to get the AC back on its track with similar monohull (actually they don't have to create new ones - just use the one they have already built). It is so much more interesting.

The problem nonetheless is the winner will take the cup home and right now I fear it will fly over the pond to the US... without taking anything away from spithill ability and skills I think BMW Oracle was just simply the better boat/sail vs Alinghi. The design and technology seems to play a bigger part of the end result then the men sailing them. At the end of the day in a match like this with quite radically different boats it is most likely that one of them will work better then the other making the hole race much less interesting then. I wouldn't rule out Alinghi yet thought they need something very special to win race 2. Tomorrow will tell ...