RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aluminum Hull? Aluminum Brazing?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM
rcwannabee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Hull? Aluminum Brazing?

Hi everyone,

I am considering the building of a boat similar to a Stanley (http://www.stanleyboats.ca/cruiser.html) using some materials I have access to. 0.010" and 0.100" aluminum for skin and forms respectively. I have access to other material sizes as well if necessary (work in a tool shop), but I would like to stay with what I have already.

Anyway, I have researched aluminum brazing and was wondering if anyone has tried this? If so, what did you think?

Has anyone made an all aluminum hull? (did not find one when searching) What were the issues that were encountered? (link to build thread would be great if there is one I missed)

I am thinking 1/12th scale, so the end product would be 24" to 27". Electric power with jet or I/O. Most likley twin drives. I am leaning towards a stand off scale or sport scale (not sure what you refer to it as).

I have not done scratch building, but I have building, metal work, welding, machining, wood working and design experience, so I think with lots of research, patience, followed by possibly lots of trial and error, I will figure something out....oh and hopefully lots of advice from the forums!

Thanks in advance for any advice, info and shared experience!