RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

Hi Butch,

Thank you for the update!

Hi Captains,

For the last couple of days I was under the weather & home from work. During that time, I was checking out the hatch opening over the forecastle and decided it was an opportune time to start the hatch. I made up the bottom foundation from 1/8" bass wood strips. Then, I cut a piece of 1/8" solid mahogany that is going to become the top section of the hatch. Next I used carpenters glue and glued the wood strips to the bottom of the mahogany hatch.

After the glue dried, I began shaping the hatch using some sandpaper. I removed all the sharp corners and rounded the corners. Now, the hatch is completely smooth and took shape.

I am going to sand the top some more to make the mahogany a bit thinner so that the hatch will be a bit shorter. Once that is done, I am going to use either a half dollar or a quarter to use as a template to draw a circle over the top center of the hatch. The circle will then be cut away to make way for the round glass that will be installed in that area. The hatch will also get a coat of epoxy and sanded smooth for extra protection and strength.

I am going to use a jewlery ring box assembly for the hatch to open and close. This will enable the hatch to stay closed securely or it will be able to be opened up and stay in place.

The hatch will be painted grey to match the deck and then the glass will be installed.

To help keep water out a thin rubber gasket will be glued to the bottom of the hatch just prior to installation so that it seals nicely as it sits on deck. There will also be varnished mahogany planks outlining the inside of the hatch opening. They will rise up about 1/8" above the deck for added water protection while giving the open hatch a classic yacht look. The planks will extend down to the inside ceiling where trim will accent it from the stateroom view.

Final installation will be done when the boat is painted in the spring.

-Rich.