RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
philjwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just wanted to say I recently purchased a Great Planes Seawind EP and I absolutely love it! It probably my favorite plane already and I have many. I fly it on my local lake and always gather a crowd, but it is so quite I never get a complaint. I also flew it on a snow covered field this year which was cool.

It copes with wind surprisingly well, flies faster than I thought and is capable of all but a few aerobatics (knife edge and flat spin not yet acheived)

I couldn't find many comments when I was considering the purchase, especially around the batteries and servos etc. I have lots of 2200mah 3s lipo's for my trex 450 heli and was looking for a seaplane to use them. Great Planes suggest using smaller batteries but I have had no problems at all with my larger ones. I have also used very cheap electronics from e bay comprising a budget 30A ESC, 3 tower pro 9g servos and a "2830-8 RC 1300KV Outrunner Brushless Motor". The motor was $11 delivered! - total electrics cost (except receiver) was only £22!

I get a good 15 mins of running time using the stock propeller and the cheap motor has more than enough power, climbing almost vertically from take off as high as i can see...

A few tips I picked up from varius sites:

seal the esc with silicon.

wrap the receiver in a balloon or bag and seal the end.

glue the wings on (i used a hot glue gun around the wing to fuselage gap after screwing it down with the supplied screw) - I chose not to use silicon since I don't trust the screw to bear all the load of aerobatic maneuvers.

Reinforce the motor mount! - My first bodge to fit the budget motor was a bit weak and it broke loose in flight, luckily this plane flies really well so I was able to glide it down easily. I rebuilt it using more plywood and extra glue. I also pinned the whole mount into the foam using bent paper clips and glue.

I would also recommedn about 25% more aileron throw as the stock roll rate is a bit slow for me.

Flying tips:

Hold the elevator up full when taxing and on take off - otherwise it tends to bunny hop or catch a wing tip.

Accelerate gently when flying low as otherwise it tends to dip.

So, thanks very much to Great Planes and all the people who have added tips that I've used/copied! )