RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA District X Special Election
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA District X Special Election

ORIGINAL: ltougas

Today I announce my intention of becoming the AMA District X Vice President. As many of you know I was a candidate in last year’s District X election. Jim Giffin and I campaigned for the office. After all 23,000 members of District X had an opportunity to vote the election came down to 34 votes. Jim prevailed by those 34 votes in a 51%-49% split.
.............. //snip//
Mr. Tougas:

As an AMA District Vice President, you help establish policies that effect each and every member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics. For example the AMA Bylaws define the duties of a DVP:

Section 6.

The District Vice President of each of the AMA

districts, as a member of the Executive Council, will formulate

policy, serve on committees (when appointed), and resolve other

matters brought before the Executive Council. The District Vice

President will appoint all of the following for his district: Contest

Board members, Contest Coordinator(s), Frequency Coordinator,

and Associate Vice President. The District Vice President is

responsible for maintaining Academy contact within the district

and providing coordination with Headquarters on AMA matters.

Therefore just because I do not reside in your district, each and all of your functions do effect me in some manner. For anyone reading this post, you may notice that the DVP duties do NOT state that the DVP represents his district to AMA. In reality it almost says the opposite using "....maintaining Academy contact within the district..."

I am a long time member of the SIG IMAA. Now I have a question for you. As you must know, the AMA event sanction procedures refuse any event separation protection between an IMAA Event and any AMA (non IMAA) event.

Personally I feel this is a death knell for IMAA events, and this area certainly proves so. I also feel it is an unjust punishment of IMAA because IMAA wishes to keep its sanctioned events for its membership.

I do not know your connection or care for any SIG. Yet, I ask you how do YOU stand on this issue? Would you, if elected for a full term as an AMA DVP bring this item before the EC and fight to get IMAA a fair chance in the conduct of their own events?
Without fair event distance protection, the IMAA club may be trying to host a large event, yet a non-IMAA Club can come right in beside them and host an AMA sanctioned "Big Bird" event. It happens.

The question is important to me because so far, no one in IMAA has displayed the courage to face the AMA hierarchy with a strong movement to make a change. Do You?
Thank you for your attention: