RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA District X Special Election
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM
ltougas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA District X Special Election

Happy Monday Morning Everyone,

I went down to the RCX show in Pomona this weekend. I want to thank the Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club and the Scale Squadron for allowing me to use their booths so I could meet AMA members and give them a chance to tell me what they wanted from their DVP. Hopefully a friend will send me some pictures soon that I will post on my blog.

I was off the board for the weekend and upon returning all I can say is, “WOW.” There is a lot of stuff on here that is way off topic so I’m going to leave that stuff alone.

As far as traveling to clubs and events I am a big proponent of it. You have to get out and, “show the flag” it is the best way to get to know the people and the issues that are important to them. As DVP if one of my AVP’s volunteers their time to travel somewhere to represent the District I would gladly reimburse them for reasonable expenses. It just makes sense, they are giving up time they could spend with family and friends and shouldn’t need to go out of pocket for it. I think 99.999% of AMA members can get behind that.

I take exception to some of Silent-AV8R’s (who is a District X AVP) comments in post 20. Specifically;

Basically how far past the "Hey, I've got a good idea" stage have you gone?? I ask this because you seem to dismiss the previous effort and apparently feel that they dropped the ball. You said as much at your campaign stop at the El Toro field late last year when you said that the previous people should have "just kept going and tired harder".

You are misrepresenting my feelings in this area. You have put in quotes words that did not come out of my mouth, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you would retract them. I am on the record from last year’s campaign as acknowledging the people who worked on this and tipping my hat to them. Specifically I said the following;

I have no doubt that the previous efforts to obtain a District X flying site were done by a committed group of AMA members. I’m not sure why the process stopped. We both agree that it is a worthy goal. There is no question that meeting that goal will be a long-term-project, something I have experience in accomplishing successfully. Projects like this aren’t sprint races; they are more like relay races. One team takes the reigns for a while then a new team comes in to relieve them and so on. If one plan runs into insurmountable obstacles you make a new plan. There is no reason not to have a standing committee in District X to secure a flying site. We should have an on-going fund raising effort to pay for it. This may take a long time but we should be working towards it on a monthly basis. One thing is for sure if we say it can’t be done we’ll always be right. I say it can be done.

I went on to acknowledge them again here and commit to discussing their experiences so we could build on them;

I understand that an attempt was made in the past to create a District X flying site. As I said earlier I am sure the people involved worked hard and went above and beyond the call of duty. The effort doesn’t have to stop there. If elected I would certainly discuss the issue with them so we could take away any lessons learned from the effort.

These are my past and present feelings on the previous effort to build a District X flying site.

Sincerely,
Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for District X Vice President
http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/