RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2003, 06:46 PM
shupack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 scale TopFlite Corsair Mods

Great idea for a thread Jock,

one of the things that bugged me the most was the wing-tip profile (top to bottom, viewed from the front) the plans show the tips rounded evenly, meaning the top of the wing sloped downward towards the tip-which is all wrong. the bottom of the wing comes up to meet the flat top surface, just changing the way you carve the tip blocks fixes this.

I rough carved then glued the tip blocks on after sheeting, then masked the sheeting to prevent denting, with a long block with rough sandpaper on the end, i sanded for-aft, basically following the ribs, to match the top of the tip block to the top of the wing. periodically lay a straigtedge down and sight along to ensure flatness. then shape the curve, per plan. sand the bottom of the block up to meet the top in a nice taper, leaving about 1/4" vertical flat around the tip, even all the way. glue a small piece of rough paper to some soft foam, and wrap arround the tip to round off the corners smoothly and evenly.
my camera is down, so no new pics, but there are some in my thread (that i've been neglecting) but none of the wing-tips, but some other mod's i've made
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...e&pagenumber=1

I have a 1/48 scale plastic model that was an excellent pattern for this..