RCU Forums - View Single Post - JR 12X battery charging ???
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: JR 12X battery charging ???

ORIGINAL: apereira

Hey Dan,

Please , read the post sequence again, I know about the Lipos, that's why I posted the manual link, it's there, can not be used, and I do have the 12X, the 10X I'm referring to used to come with NiCd and when they failed I changed them to NIMh and never had problems, I have the same problems as all of you with my NiMH on the 12X I have, but mine doesn't loose the charge in one day, it does it in a week, some times in two weeks. If some one uses the charger as the instructions in the radio will probably burn them, they really really get hot, not warm.

OhD, what I always keep in mind is, if the manufacturer tells you don't do this and you do it, then that will void the three year warranty.

Dave, I stopped using the provided wall charger because if the batteries had still more than 9.9 or 10V will really overheat, I haven't measured the temperature, but it was hot.

The thing is, the wall charger will not stop by Delta Peak, but rather by time limit, so there should be no false charges, but in the other hand if the batteries have a good charge for a day of 4 flights and wants to recharge for next day, then it will overheat. The battery is protected for overheat and will shutoff the wall charger, but they also says you should not charge above 11V the first cycles, but was not mentioned a year ago (I think) when I got my first 12X, so it is not very clear at this point on what is the best method, in my opinion of course.

REgards
I read the charging instructions and it sounds like the charging system should work as the current should drop to less than C/10 near the end of charge. The batteries should take this for many hours before getting too hot. I'd test the batteries with another charger that can be set to 200 ma and cycle them like Dave says. You should be able to get 2000 mah out of them and they shouldn't get hot even after 24 hours of C/10 charging. If those two things don't check out, I'd replace them with batteries that can pass those two requirements. If they do pass, I wouldn't use the supplied charger anymore.

Jim