RCU Forums - View Single Post - fuel proofing paint
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel proofing paint

ORIGINAL: yel914
I've tried Nelson's clear, and while it looks pretty good and is easy to clean up, it's expensive, it's a pain to brush on and I can't get a good spray out of it.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the very low humidity here in Utah.

I haven't tried KlassKote yet, but that may be my next stop.

Have you thinned the Nelson's? Even on low humidity days (few and far between in NC) It seems to spread well using a foam type brush/applicator. Lays out well, dries quickly at 2/3-3/4 clear & 1/3-1/4 reducer(water). Sprays well at that mix too. Denatured alchohol works as a good reducer for spraying since alot of it evaporates as the paint is coming out of the sprayer, lets you put down a heavier coat without runs because the paint that hits the surface is thicker(less runny).

KlassKote is great...have plastic and alum spinners painted with it and they stand up very well to the electric starter. excellent clear coat, brushed or sprayed. tedious to clean the sprayer so I usually just do whole planes in clear then toss the gun. If you have a harbor freight locally you can pick up a detail sprayer for about $10.00on sale fairly often.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...?itemnumber=86