RCU Forums - View Single Post - spelling and grammar check
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: spelling and grammar check

ORIGINAL: HunkaJunk

I think spell checkers have ruined us. I remember back when we didn't have all these gizmos, I was a much better speller than I am now. Or maybe I'm just getting old??
I respectfully disagree. I've always been a fairly good speller, but there were still a few words that I had trouble with. Since I've been using a computer to write, it became easy to use a spell checker rather than to "Go look it up". After repeatedly having a spell checker correct my commonly misspelled words, I have learned to spell them correctly.

It's the people who DON'T use spell-check that repeatedly misspell words.

Now I use it more to catch typos than spelling.

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I've noticed a lot of the bad spelling is from people in our own country. The people from overseas, (usually) have better spelling & gramar than us. '' I think it's embarassing. There's a couple of guys that have to be total idiots by the way they spell.
Yea, it's a sad commentary on the state of our education system. And BTW, it's "grammar" and "embarrassing"

But those (to me) are acceptable misspellings. I have seen things like, "Hammydown" instead of "Hand-me-down" and "I mise well" instead of, "I might as well"