Thread: KillerVolt
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM
HRCules77
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KillerVolt

Pictures 1,2,3,4 & 5:
Well, here's the motor mount. The mount is made out of ABS (I think) and reinforced with screws and some aluminum plate. It looks bulky but I wanted something to protect the motor well. Thankfully, it's not as heavy as it looks though I will still be drilling out some holes later for added weight savings. Like I said, this motor is huge and since it's an outrunner, everything past the front housing actually turns.

6. You can see from this view how close the motor is to the front of the vehicle. I've ordered a shaft extender which will enable me to use a wider range of pinions and allow me to have the motor as close to the front as possible. With the stock shaft, I would half to mount the motor close up to the diff housing. The size of the motor limits me here since the use of a smaller pinion will cause the motor to hit the diff housing. Mounting the motor this deep up front along with the side plates of the motor mount will help protect it from debris. Last thing I want is for a stone to get stuck between the can and the chassis. The shaft extender will be about 43mm total length and made out of stainless steel. I'm not really concerned about the extra rotational weight of the metal since I will be losing some or all of that weight through the use of an acetyl pinion and a nylon spur.

For a spur gear, I've ordered Losi's quick change set-up with a 45T nylon gear. This will enable me to change the spur gear easily without having to dismantle my entire diff which I think is necessary for a project like this.

For pinions, I've chosen 6mm bore Mod 1 Acetyl with brass inserts. I've got three coming: a 24T, 26T and 28T. Why acetyl? First of all its a strong, abuse-loving material and its cheap. Also, the physical properties of the acetyl plastic pinion do a couple things: they will cause it to run quietly against the nylon spur and provide self-lubrication. These pinions, mated to the 45T spur will net me an approximate and theoretical speed of 38, 42 and 45 mph on 4S Lipo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo38728.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1433603   Click image for larger version

Name:	bx73910.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1433604   Click image for larger version

Name:	ze84952.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.44 MB